As school starts early for the morning sessions, the trainers and volunteers were scheduled to be in the school by 7.15am!
I was not supposed to be in town as I had a trip to Germany, but as fate would have it, all non essential travel was canceled. So I got my original role as the MC back with hardly a day to prepare. I flubbed the opening where the headmistress requested us to sing the national anthem followed by the doa (Islamic prayers). I totally overlooked that and went straight to introducing all the speech-makers, starting with the headmistress. Whoops!!! I think the headmistress isn't too happy with me for that!
Oh, I forgot to mention the project!! The kids were each given a piece of foam, some sticks, 4 round light weight disks (to be used as wheels), straws, scissors, glue and balloon. They are suppose to cut the foam to a kind of traingular shape, push the sticks through the straw, stick 2 wheels on each end and then stick that to the piece of foam. They would then have to stick another piece of straw to the body, with a balloon tied to one end. Once completed, they have to blow the balloon, put the whole contraption on the floor and as the air escape from the balloon, it will propel the "rocket" in the other direction. Hence the project name - Newton's rocket car. Some of the kids even attempted to place a double engine to their car (2 balloons instead of 1). The finale was to race the cars they made. 1 finalist was chosen from each team.
No comments:
Post a Comment