Lido beach - frankly I have no idea what's the name of the beach. But it stretches from

Lido Hotel (8th mile) at one end

to just before Bayu Beach hotel at the other end. It is a public beach and has bath and toilet facilities around the main area which is populated by a large carpark and numerous little shacks masquerading as shops selling beach activities stuff.
A beach is a beach is a beach. Right? Well, not so. If you go to the Angsana apartments end of the beach, i.e. the end near to Lido hotel, the beach is stony.

All 3 of our kids cut their feet on the sharp stones/rocks when we plonked ourselves down there. The mid section is better - very sandy.
I just want to highlight 2 gripes that I have about that beach
First of all, the day trippers have absolutely no sense of civic mindedness. Our first day on the beach was Tuesday - it's the middle of the week, so not as many visitors as one may expect. Beach was relatively clean.

By the end of our stay, with the weekend looming, the number of visitors increased dramatically. And the beach was like one big litter bin. We saw families bring their food for a day picnic, eat it on the beach and just dumped the remains in the sand.

There was bits and pieces of fried chicken and

fruits, along with water bottles, waste papers and so on.
Second major gripe/ observation was that for a public beach, there was no visible bay watch kind of post - until one looked closely.

I found 2 very cozy, probably air conditioned watch towers on both ends of the beach. The picture above is the one located at the Lido Hotel end of the beach,

The picture above shows the watch tower at the other end (not Lido Hotel) of the beach. The windows were so heavily tinted that you cannot tell if anyone is in there. In any case, the one on the Lido Hotel end was shielded by trees - so it is effectively USELESS. How could a life guard tell if anyone is in distress when nobody on the beach can even tell if there is a watch tower there? Don't believe that - have a look at the first 2 photos again. Can you see the watch towers in those photos? I can't, but they are there.

There is a third watch tower in the mid section of the public beach - that was also unmanned.
There was also a life guard office next to Lido Hotel.

When I went by, I saw a man dressed in a bush jacket trying to lock the doors - with RUBBER BANDS!!

I am at a loss for words on this one.
1 comment:
the fried chicken to feed the fishes,
the fruit as fish dessert,
the watch towers for show,
the rubberbands... Malaysian ingenuity?
Post a Comment