"How are you? I have not heard from you since we left Malaysia. Were you exhaust after took care all of us while we were there? I hope you are well and still are happy. Anyway, I copied your article from blog and added more pictures to it. The pdf file is attached to this message. It is a very good report which can be added to Malaysia travel brochure. If you don’t mind, I would like to send your report to my relative and friends, just in case they want to visit Malaysia. Please let me know."
Gee, Pham thought that writeup was good enough for a Malaysian Travel Brochure! (face RED, RED!!). Pham edited some of my entries and also combined 2 entries into one, so I thought I should repost the narration of his trip here. Apologies to Lynh for mis-spelling her name. I write it as I hear it.
The weekend of 10th May turned out to be one of the longest that I have had for sometime. I had starting preparing for it almost a week ago. I had a couple of guests coming to Malaysia. Pham Phan and wife were arriving on 10th May, landing in KLIA at 10.50am. This was their first visit to Malaysia. I have been meeting up with Pham all over Asia in the course of our work. Pham had been absolutely helpful in helping to raise the technical capability of the Support teams in Asia Pacific. And I have known him for uncountable years!! So when I heard that he was making a trip here, I offered to take him around for the weekend.
Upon their arrival, I whisked them off to One World hotel next to 1 Utama. After checking in, my family (wife and Alex) joined in for lunch - local Malacca food. Then we were off to Ipoh. My intentions were to show them a little bit of rural Malaysia. I turned off the highway at Tapah, took the trunk roads all the way to Ipoh. Along the way, we stopped at Gua Tempurung as I was looking for information to plan an outing there. Main objective of the Ipoh trip was to visit the Sam Poh Tong caves. But we arrived late (5.30pm) and the darn temples along that stretch were all closed!! What a wasted journey.
We ended up buying pomeloes and tidbits at the pomelo stalls just outside of the temple caves.
Luckily my uncle lives in Ipoh. So I brought my guests (unannounced) to his house to show them how a relatively well off family lived. Being Americans of Vietnamese descent, they were in 2 minds. On the one hand, the American in them says you don't show up unannounced at anyone's home. On the other hand, the Asian in them knows that this is an accepted practice. In any case, my Uncle (Dr. Tham) and Aunt were at home and welcomed them.
In front of Dr. Tham’s house Sunday 11th May - told them to wait at 10am in the hotel.
Then I took them to my former landlady's house (unannounced again) to show them how the average Joe lived.
From there, we visited the Hot Spring in Setapak before moving onto Batu Caves Batu Caves Batu Caves is a limestone hill, which has a series of caves and cave temples, located in Gombak district, 13 km north of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It takes its name from the Sungai Batu or Batu River, which flows past the hill. After climb up 273 steps, we finally reached to the top of the cave
After that it was Thean Hou temple
and then to my house. All that completed by 2.30pm. At 3pm, we left my house to go back to the hotel. They needed a breather and I needed to catch up with my second guest - Angela Ong who was suppose to arrive at One World before 3pm. Her flight was delayed and she ended up checking in around 4pm. The night ended with a trip to Ijok to the New Beggar Chicken Restaurant. I was supposed to have 7 people for the meal. One of my other guest was my E-pal (like a pen pal, except that we had been communicating via the Internet) Alex Bunny. Unfortunately she had been having digestive problems and could not make it. Most people in the office declined the invitation due to Mother's Day. One who did accept did an FFK on me at the last minute as she went back to Malacca and could not make it back in time. SO we ended up with 5 - Pham and Wife, Angela, Ian Sik and me!The food was worth it. I had to reserve the table and at least 3 of the main courses almost ONE week before the planned event. Right after we were seated, a wheelbarrow
was pushed near to our table and the baked clayey thing lifted out. A couple of workers started the process of removing the clay covering and then serving the dishes to us. We had Beggar Chicken
Beggar Rice
Beggar Pig Trotters (which was a mistake in the order. I ordered Pig Stomach Soup, but Pham took one look at the pig trotters and wanted it anyway.
Boiled Lettuce garnished with fried onions and Oyster Sauce and Fried sizzled prawns.And to end the day, a last minute addition to the itinerary was to look for fireflies.
All 4 of them went for that. I had been on the sampan before so I ended up looking after the bags. What a night!! Pham Phan told me that his kids were keeping up with his travel through my blog!! Gee, if I had known earlier, I would have updated everyday!!. In any case here are the updates and photos.14th May – Twin Tower Finally convinced Pham and Lin to let me take them around KL. Lynh was planning to pay for a tour package to go to the Petronas Twin Towers, Chinatown and visit a night market. First of all, Chinatown in KL is nothing like Chinatown in San Francisco. For one thing, it does not even look and feel like Chinatown. Many of the vendors in KL's Chinatown are Bangladeshis or some other immigrant workers. Another thing is that tours of these sorts tends to bring you to selected shops/ outlets where they try to convince you to buy things that you do not want at exorbitant prices with the tour guide getting a cut of the sale.
We started the evening with a short visit to the KL convention centre (KLCC for short) to get pictures of the Petronas Twin Towers -
which are still the tallest TWIN towers in the world, but not the tallest building anymore. We arrived as dusk was setting in. Light was fading fast.
So the shots were a little underexposed. But the night shots of the twin towers from the park were great!! As for Night Markets (or Pasar Malam, as the locals calls it), they have them all over town on every night of the week. Everyday, a different location has a night market.
So for this night, I took all my guests (Angela included) to eat Pork Rib Soup (or Bak Kut Teh). This is an herbal soup which is cooked with any variety of meats (e.g. pork ribs, pig stomach, intestines), champignons and mushrooms (oyster, straw, etc), Chinese cabbage and served with rice of in our case rice cooked with yam.
This stall was near my house and they also served pig trotters in vinegar - which had Pham and Angela salivating!!. After dinner, all of us went to one of the longest night market in KL, i.e. the one in Taman Connaught. Angela managed to get smelly tofu to satiate her watchamacallit.15th May – Durian night This was the night that I had promised to get them durians (thorny Asian fruit which Westerners liken to smelling like shit and taste like heaven)!! But the durian season has only just started and the varieties and offerings were mediocre at best.
A regular site that I go to did not have anything available until 20th May - which was too late as all my guests would have gone home by then. So we had to settle for whatever we could get - which was pretty bland stuff.
When we finished, we went to one of my friend's house, parked the car there and went to explore yet another night market. This time, the experience was much better. The night market of the previous night was so packed jammed full of people that it was stifling and difficult to walk through all the stalls. We dropped by an Indian Muslim restaurant and had something called a roti tissue - which is a tissue thin piece of bread (or prata). Look at the length of that!!
Well - that's another night of Malaysian experience for Pham and Lynh and Angela.
No comments:
Post a Comment