For my foreign readers, today's post is about Malaysia and it's politics, so you may be blur blur after reading this.
I was 11 years old when May 13 1969 happened. That was the year that racial riots erupted in Malaysia, mainly in Kuala Lumpur and I am, as one author that I had read somewhere said, of an age that I could observe and understand but could not participate. If you read the recently published book by Dr Kua Kia Soong - it provides a good insight on why that had happened. Many foreign observers contends that the racial riots broke out as a result of a coup by Ultras in UMNO to grab power from the first Prime Minister - Tunku.
“The first credible account of the May 13, 1969 racial riots in Malaysia based on documents recently declassified at the Public Records Office in London”AVAILABLE AT BOOKSHOPS & KINIBOOKS.COM
To this day, the leadership of UMNO and many of it's rank and file continues to use the spectre of May 13 to cow the Chinese during elections or whenever some "sensitive" issues are brought up. At the last UMNO assembly, the UMNO youth leader again drew out his keris and one delegate asked him when he was going to use it. The current UMNO deputy who is also the deputy PM was also reported to have said that it was time to bath the keris in Chinese blood during the early 90s when the MCA deputy leader raised the issue of abolishing NEP. Khairy, the son-in-law of the current PM has also made racist remarks against the Chinese these past few years and he is currently the UMNO Youth deputy leader.
I would like to quote from a poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.
I remained silent;I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for me,there was no one left to speak out.
Remember this when the next General Election comes around. Use your vote to ensure that the corrupt and racist government of BN either does not get into power again or at least deny them the huge majority which they think is carte blanc to do as they please. Mahathir had remarked that we get the government that we deserve.
Recent activities has led many to believe that the General Elections are near.
- BN will want to hold this late this year so that Anwa Ibrahim does not have a chance to stand for election
- Stock market has generated a lot of cash for the BN machinery through the so called GLCs. These monies are important for them to selectively buy votes as they have done in the 3 recent by (buy?) elections, notably the last one in Ijok.
- they are starting to clamp down on Blogs carrying negative reports on the government.
I suggest that when you can go to the Malaysia Today website ( http://www.malaysia-today.net/index.shtml) to read up on expose by Raja Petra Kamarudin (RPK). As you read all his current and past articles, you need to ask yourself - what he has written is so explosive in terms of exposing the government, the police and so on, so why did they not sue him for libel and slander and instead charge him with the improbable charge of insulting the King and Islam? HIs expose are in general backed up with documents. I personally conclude that the powers that be dare not charge or sue him because they fear that he has a lot more dirt on them and these can be further exposed if he goes to court.
Muhammad, the son of Muhammad has already experienced this first hand when he laid the charge on RPK of insulting the King and Islam. Read RPK's "see you in hell, Muhammad the son of Muhammad"
Since the police report, RPK's site was getting millions of hits a day. Go figure.
No comments:
Post a Comment