Friday, July 6, 2007

Shanghai revisited - July 2007

Another week in Shanghai. I have not been buying things from Shanghai in my last couple of visits. Especially not any of the "souvenirs" or any of the genuine fake goods ranging from Rolex/Omegas to DVD. Last night, a group of the training participants wanted to have dinner together and during dinner, we decided to go for karaoke. We headed to near Times Square in Pudong and while waiting for some of the group, I was browsing through some DVDs. There were like a DVD seller every 10 feet or so around that area!!!!. Remembered that my son was clamouring for TMNT movie as he did get to see it due to my travels. So, I got him one and found that the price of DVDs had dropped from about 7 to 8 RMB to only 5 RMB now!!. You can get a collection of 10 DVDs on 120 shows on the National Geographic Channel for RMB40.

And the thing is that, despite being pirated copies, they were really good clear copies, without any of those cinema sounds or out of focus stuff we get in Malaysia from the pasar malam. And... the pirates can still continue to get a profit from those kind of prices!! No wonder every Tom Dick and Harry wants to get into the business. And as long as the legitimate businesses insist on their ridiculous and exorbitant prices, they are fighting a losing battle.

I am staying in Diamond Court Apartments - a serviced apartments that serves our purposes for mid to long term stays. I get an executive apartment which has ONE bedroom, a study room for me to work and connect to the internet, a very large and comfortable living room. And they have cooking facilities, with a 4 burner oven, refrigerator and even a washing machine. 2 TVs - one in the bedroom and one in the living room. As it is located away from Pudong center, I did most of my meals and shopping in the nearby Carrefour (at Jinqiao). It is only 11 minutes brisk walk away (I have a pedometer to count my steps and time the journey!!).

Sunday, when I went to purchase some sundries to stock up the fridge, the crowd was so jam packed tight that you would think that things in Carrefour was free or close to it. And most of the customers were local Chinese.

Who says China is poor??

No comments: