Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Vincent Wong n Siew Fong (1)

I'm going ahead to writeup about Vincent Wong and Siew Fong's wedding day with the photos that I have. I am still waiting for Vincent's photos which would have me in it as well.

Vincent is Elaine's elder and only brother. And when he finally decided to tie the knot, I knew I would somehow get roped in to help. Even before the day itself, I was already helping them out by printing part of the invitation card. The images Vincent gave me were not great to start with and I have to massage the photo to get the quality that he wanted.

For the wedding day itself, I was first asked to be the cameraman. Luckily, he found 2 other professional photographers to take care of that detail as my Lumix was in the Panasonic workshop for a faulty display cable. Then he found out that I had a Sony Handycam - the one with 60G of HD. So I was opted as the videoman. I had another Lumix, so I co-opted Alex to be backup cameraman - and that's how I got a whole load of photos for this blog. And a few days before the event his mum called - can you be the MC too?? Choke!! Choke!!! MC? Haiz - isn't there anyone else? Nolah - if any of his Heng Dai get too drunk, he don't want them mouthing nonsense on stage.

So on the morning of Vincent's big day, I woke up at 6am, got Alex to do the same and we had a McDonald's breakfast. By 7am, we were at Vincent's house in Lagenda Mas. Waited for the Heng Dais to arrive as well as the bridal car and we were off to Tanjong Malim by 8am.

When we arrived at Siew Fong's house (actually it's a shoplot), we had to wait as her brother and some other relatives went off to buy breakfast for the starving Heng Dais. And after what seemed like a long wait, the new brother came over, haggled with Vincent on the right amount of Hong Bao (red packet) he should get before he would open the door for his new brother in law.The haggling didn't take too long and a happy Vincent finally got to step out of his bridal prison.

Upstairs - more wait was in store as the bride was putting on finishing touches. So the whole entourage was feted to roast pig, nasi lemak and drinks. Vincent got a separate dish of roast pork - supposedly not offered in prayers to the Taoist Gods. I cannot imagine the pig going to the altar with part of it's body carved out so that that part is not offered!! One of the Heng Dais saw a trio of parangs on one side and remarked that if Vincent don't make an offer that Siew Fong's family cannot resist, we may not get out of there alive!!

Okay - breakfast over and the show starts!! In Chinese cultural weddings, it is not an easy road for the groom to get his bride. In addition to bribing his future brother in law, he has to bribe and satisfy the Ji Muis on the bride's side. If not, he does not get to go into the room where the bride is waiting. The Ji Muis had prepared a series of herculean tasks for the groom and his entourage to complete before they are allowed to see the bride. The whole show dragged on for almost 30 minutes before the door was finally opened! And I am sure, to Vincent, the drama was worth it!!

Next act was the tea ceremony and then the customary family photos.

Vincent - if you have not already done so - look closely and recognize all these people. They are part of your family now.

4 comments:

Vincent Wong said...

Hahaha... For all the "parang" are not suppose to be in there... We should be holding it and walking in...

By all means Siew Fong and Me would like to say "THANK YOU"... We really appericiate it so much..

Syiok Sendiri said...

hmm the last sentence sounds ominous....


frm
'vincent that didnt ask to buy printer'

vertigo said...

Hey Than, read you post here, interesting one...but cudnt decipher what is MC?

Sam Tam said...

Vertigo - an MC is a Master of Ceremony lah