Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My house is a war zone

After staying in my Taman Midah house for close to 17 years now, it was time to invest in some renovations. Some things were falling apart and needed to be replaced. Some things had to be upgraded. Elaine's aunt and mum says my garden is a jungle (no no , that's not my garden, though I wish it is). I guess that's to be expected since my mum was the active gardener until her knees gave out on her.

House reno
First thing to be changed was windows. The kitchen and both back rooms upstairs had louvred windows and over the years, the mechanism to close the windows had jammed or were very sticky. I had the same contractor who renovated my Denai Alam house to do this job. I had 3 sets of windows changed to sliding aluminum windows. That was completed in about 2 days, including careful dismantling of the old window and frame and putting in the new windows and security grills.

Then I had them remove my bathtub (which was not used for the past decade or more) and remodeled my bathroom (tiles, new shower points and a partition between the shower area and the W.C.)

The biggest piece of work was to tile up my car porch. Here is the in progress and after of the job.Garden cleanup
Grace and Esther spent a couple of days in my garden. Between trimming, cutting, re-potting and throwing (the most labor intensive part of the whole exercise) out unwanted plants and greenery, the garden was quickly transformed.

The bees which had been spending a peaceful time in my garden decided to vacate their hive before the start of the garden resoration. And I think the birds and shrews very quickly realized this and had a go at the hive for honey.

The bougainvillea were the most dangerous as they had large thorns and I managed to get stabbed and sliced by a thorn which caused my thumb to bleed for almost the whole day. Had to dressed and re-dressed my wound 3 times just in the afternoon alone to get the bleeding to stop.

All 3 of us were scratched and insect bitten all over. But the end result was sure worth it.

Thanks Esther and Grace. We still have a bit more to complete.

No comments: