Monday, December 29, 2008

Holiday time - part 2 Penang

For the Penang leg, I booked 2 rooms at the Northam. When we checked in, they gave us the 2 rooms and the end of the corridor on the 25th floor which were bigger than the ones I normally get when I stay here on business. Both rooms had their individual room doors for privacy and also had a common door from the corridor which made it even more private! I am sure V found the reading desk useful as he had lugged his PC along to keep in contact with his business partners.

First activity for the night was to get stocked up on food. So we went to Gurney Mall, got groceries, got dinner and then did a night drive all the way to Mutiara Hotel and back before calling it a day. It has been some years since my previous visit and some things have changed. There are a lot more high rises near the beaches for one and this is really not ecologically friendly.

The second day was planned to be a round the island trip. We had a quick stopover at Miami Beach (who needs to go to Florida?). At least some of the beaches are still around. Miami Beach is a rocky beach.

Next, we stopped at the Batik factory opposite the (closed down? Mutiara Hotel). As I had re-arranged the furniture in my house, I bought a batik piece by a local deaf and mute artist for the wall in front of my PC table. Got one for V and M too.

Then we spent quite a bit of time at the Penang Butterfly farm. They do have some funny signage all over. I like this one that seems to say - don't pinch our mosquitoes! Love those insects that can camouflage themselves. And they had upgraded some of the displays. There is a room with a 15 minutes video showing the insects and there are sections of the video that are pretty interesting. The owner had also added a couple of rooms to show and sell antiques (real or otherwise) and other artifacts. I particularly liked this one.

We still have Teluk Bahang Dam, Balik Pulau Fruit Farm, Snake Temple, Air Itam Dam on the list!!

No comments: