Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jobless??? No longer!!

I must have made known (too loudly) that I was jobless! Well.... control tower has made the announcement - by an executive decision (meaning - no point arguing otherwise), the helpdesk shall be located in Gurgaon, New Delhi, India. Sigh!! The consolation that I have is that I am allowed to hire a local supervisor to help me manage the operations. That also means that I would have bandwidth to take on more functions.

For whatever reasons, I seemed to have impressed a few of the Pongo project team members - especially my soon to be new boss. One of the other team members even called me Farmer Sam - because I stand out in the field!! My face went beetroot red at that. Luckily this was over a teleconference, so nobody saw that.

My soon to be new boss has now added on the AP Technical training coordination and liaison and training related functions onto me. Just when I thought that i would be out of that since my current boss is handling training matters. Details still needs to be worked out.

Even though I do not have anyone hired yet (up to 7 vacancies will be available by early next week), I have already been "volunteered" to take on email responses for the Americas. That had been a consequence of having my E Authoring team in India handling software questions (by email) from Europe. Middle East and Africa (EMEA).

Currently, I have initiated communications with India HR for the hiring process. In addition, IT has also been contacted to get the telephony systems ordered and installed within the next 2 months. Work Place Services has been contacted to get the seating space allocated.

Next steps - plans for training these new hires up to speed before the Helpdesk becomes operational (optimistically by mid 2008). This would also include visit(s) to the Gurgaon site.

Crossing my fingers!!

Before I finish - I would like all of you to view - Achmed the dead terrorist video that I have on the side - It is absolutely hilarious. There is even a Christmas version on YouTube.

No comments: