Friday, November 30, 2007

My last day - really!!!

Today, 30th Nov 2007 is my last day. My last day as the Support Assist Manager for Asia Pacific that is. Next month , my whole team of Support Assists will report to new managers in Santa Clara (California), Little Falls (Delaware) and Waldbron (Germany), I still have one team to manage at this time - the E Authoring team in India.

So what lies ahead? There is a proposal to setup a new Global help desk team, but at this time, I am in a holding pattern, waiting for the control tower to advice me which airport I should be landing in. Hope I don't run out of fuel before that happens.

Almost 5 years ago, I took over the management of the Support Assist team and the Sales assist teams and had our combined team meeting in Hachioji, Japan in Jan 2003. The team was pretty big then - disparate and culturally dissimilar. We had Sales assist teams in Japan serving Japan and another team in Singapore serving the rest of AP. AP had 2 Support Assist members who had to merge with the Japan based team with more than a handful. This photo just shows most of the team members at that time,

Over the next 5 years, Sales assist moved over to Marketing. I added Lab Informatics team to my management for a while and then transferred them to Pleasanton last year. The number of AP Support Assist were slowly increased over time. I transfer this current team with 2 members from China, 1 from Taiwan, 1 in Malaysia, 1 in India and 1 in Australia. Japan still had 5 members.

I met up with a future Pongo team member in Beijing in Sept 2003. Nancy - you don't seem to have changed much. I still remember confusing you with Cristina Knebl.

This was the first joint CSO meeting between Asia Pacific and the Solution Units. So we had every CSO manager and most of the decision makers from SU in one room.

That was one big meeting and the team building was just as enjoyable.
Here is one of the team up one section of the Great Wall in Beijing called Mutianyou (not the Badaling section).

Over the years I have had numerous collaboration with China's CSO team. I had utilized their training facilities in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou to the max. We used weekends and public holidays to deliver technical trainings. There was one year when I visited China almost every month to deliver trainings!! Due to the close working relationship, I guess, China CSO treated me as part of their team and for a number of years, I joined in the CSO and customer training's off site team meetings. This one was last year in Chengdu - Panda country.

My last team meeting this year was held in Fukuoka - but only involved the LCMS support team. It was getting difficult to get all of the team together due to workload and bandwidth.

When all's been said and done, this little plaque we left at one of the temples in Fukuoka just about sums up how work should be done.
Now, if only I knew which airport i am suppose to land in???

No comments: