Saturday, August 9, 2008

Re-experiencing Studio Ghibli

Having a 10 year old at home (Alex) means that I would frequently be reliving parts of my childhood, though not necessarily at the same age/time continuum. The first time I saw the Anime My Neighbor Totoro must have been in my early teens.

A few months ago, I saw a box set of 4 in 1 movies from Studios Ghibli. So I bought it to let Alex see some of the Anime of some decades ago. I think I must have been drawn to it by the silhouette of Totoro on the box, despite the absence of the show itself in the collection. To my surprise, Alex liked it. I say surprise because his is the age of Disney, Nicktoons and what have you. It was even more surprising when I insisted on playing the DVD on Japanese language with English subtitles. I guess the nuances and emotions conveys better in original language.

The 4 in 1 collection starts off with Spirited Away. The level of details and realism in many of the scenes are astounding - considering that this is Anime! The Cat's Return was also entertaining

The 4 in 1 movie collection was good, but it did not have Totoro My neighbor. So when I saw another box set with 17 movies in it, and it was on sale for HALF PRICE! I bought it without hesitation - Totoro My Neighbor was amongst the collection. I think the movies from Studios Ghibli carries some moral and ethical messages in many of them.

Have fun surfing the net for more info on Studios Ghibli. With the Malaysian Mega sale in full swing now, i think it is relatively easy to get the box sets at a discount.

No comments: