This January trip to Shanghai had essentailly 2 objectives
- get trained as a trainer for one of our support products (RA) and
- to deliver a training on another product because the original trainer could not be re-scheduled.
Because of the train the trainer sessions, I arrived on a Thursday to help the trainer get the class and labs setup. In the end, since most of the setup was network related, there was not much I could help with as only 1 of 2 trainers from Colorado turned up. The other one had to abort at the last minute due to burst water pipes in his house (extreme cold winters does that). Rick had only one hardisk with all the necessary labs installed, so I couldn't help him.
In any case, the training went well, despite many gremlins showing up in the lab. DHCP addresses were supposed to be leased for 7 days, but somehow in the lab, the moment you disconnect, you get a new IP address.
Perplexing and challenging!!
There was a GC class running in the next room and both Rick and I were invited to their graduation dinner. Most of those students in the GC class were going to be my students during my last week in Shanghai!
During the first weekend, Mao (aka referred to as Chairman Mao for those who know him) took me to the highest bottle opener in the world - the Shanghai World Financial center (SWFC).
You had to pay RMB150 per person to go all the way to the 100th floor to view Pudong
and it's surroundings. Unfortunately for us, the day was foggy and you really don't get a good view.
In fact, Shanghai seems to be shrouded in perpetual fog during the days I was there.
I was the 1,984,201 visitor up to the 100th floor. For sure, SWFC is really high. Even the JinMao building and the Oriental Pearl Tower nearby is looked down on - literally.
The picture above is what you can expect if the day was clear! One thing I noticed was that due to the expected high number of foreign tourists who goes up the SWFC,
most of the girls manning the lifts and customer areas were young and pleasant on the eyes.
I was the 1,984,201 visitor up to the 100th floor. For sure, SWFC is really high. Even the JinMao building and the Oriental Pearl Tower nearby is looked down on - literally.
The picture above is what you can expect if the day was clear! One thing I noticed was that due to the expected high number of foreign tourists who goes up the SWFC, The training i delivered was also challenging as many of the instruments are badly maintained. Damn!!!
But I managed to deliver what was required and had the class graduation dinner nearby.
As usual, I get to renew my friendship with many people in the factory. There was Lily,
who is the GC trainer, Helen,
our training admin in Shanghai and of course my Niang.
I am coming again in March!!
No comments:
Post a Comment