Tuesday, February 23, 2010

HUKM - Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia

My mum was asked to show up in HUKM on 20th Feb 2010 to assess her health condition in preparation for a knee cap replacement. 20th Feb was a Saturday, which was a surprising date as HUKM is a teaching hospital and doctors do not show up normally unless they were on call.

Sure enough, after having been registered and assigned a bed, we just sat and waited as the staff nurse tried to hunt down a doctor to look at my mum. After about 90 minutes, were were told that we would be re-scheduled for 22nd Feb, the following Monday. Sigh!!

First lesson learnt - there are no registrations for patients in the normal lobby on weekends- in fact the doors to the lobby were locked. After walking around a fair bit, the security guard told us that we should register at Accident and Emergency lobby (A&E). Due to the condition of my mum's knees, I got a taxi to transport us from one end of the hospital complex to the A&E lobby.

On 22nd, I drove her to the hospital again and registered her at A&E because we arrived before 7am. She was to go to the Orthopedic ward for cardio vascular and health assessment. They kept her overnight for observations. On 23rd lunch time when I visited her, I was told that she would be discharged later in the day. I told the nurse that I would pick my mum up after work and settle any bills arising.

Discharging a patient at HUKM is an experience - an unpleasant one. I managed to get my quota of exercise for the week in that 90 minutes of getting my mum discharged and back home.

First of all, due to the condition of her knees and the location of the ward (by my estimate it was about 100m from the ward to the front lobby - one way), I went around looking for a wheelchair. After some directions from nurses and security personnel, i managed to locate the counter which loan out wheelchairs. Only problem was that it was 4.59pm when I located that counter and the guy manning it tells me that they are closed! WHAT??!!!! Yes- wheelchair loans are closed at 5pm. Dammit!!

Okay - i take the lift to the 4th floor - traversed the 100m of floor from lift to ward and asked the staff nurse if my mum could be discharged. Sure.... after you settle the invoice for ward stay, medication, lab tests, etc.. Fair enough. However the payment counter is on the GROUND floor!. So I told my mum to get dressed and wait for me on the 4th floor while i go get the invoice settled.

At the payment counter, the woman behind the counter asked if my mum is a citizen. I needed to prove that by showing her identity card. Er... lady, the I/C is with my mum on the 4th floor ward. So she bills me in full instead of 50% less for citizens. Never mind she says, just show her I/C and bill later and she will refund the difference once her citizenship is confirmed.

So i go back up the 4th floor, borrowed a wheelchair from the ward (left my I/C as security) and wheeled my mum down to the payment counter. Got a queue number for refunds and waited to be called. " Sorry sir, refunds are only made till 5pm. Can you come another day?" I swear, if my heart wasn't in a good condition, i may have had a heart attack or stroke at that moment!

Okay, I'll come back another day for the refund. First things first - I need to return the wheelchair. So another 100m to ward 4H and then 100m back to the lobby. The pharmacy was nearby and my mum was prescribed a whole bunch of medication. Sign outside the pharmacy proudly declares that they are opened from 8am to 6.30pm and it was only 5.45pm. Don't you believe it!! Sorry - we are closed. Please go to the pharmacy at A&E. I can feel my blood pressure go up a notch!!

In summary, do NOT try to get a discharge after 4pm. You may end up being hospitalized for stroke, heart attacks or misdiagnosed Rabies or even temporary insanity.

My mum has a new appt one month from now to refill her medication and another in may for further tests. She cannot have her knee operation now due to her asmathic condition. Not suitable for general anaesthetic.

Sigh!

No comments: