Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You need to think twice before eating some of the food out there

Chinese New Year has been over more than 2 months now. I had placed 8 Mandarin oranges on top of the partition of my cubicle just to enhance the mood of the festivities and I noticed that even after 2 months, the Mandarin oranges looks almost as the same as it was 2 months ago!!. Mind you, the office is not having 24 hours of air conditioning. The air-cond in the office is only operating from 8am to 6pm every day and on weekends, it is OFF. I had killed a set of Xmas lites because I had left it ON over the weekend and the heat in the office and the heat generated caused the lights to die an unnatural death.

Back to the oranges. Because of the scare about worms found in the Mandarin oranges this year, I did not eat any. In fact, when I received a packet of such oranges from a relative who is known to pass off near to expiry goods, I had opened one of those oranges and just left it there to see if any worms crawled out. Thank fully none did, but I still refuse to eat any of those oranges.

When I looked at the oranges that were sitting there for more than 2 months, only 2 showed signs of dehydration and one showed some decomposition of the skin. Six of them still looks good and I notice that they have some white powder in some of the pores.
No wonder mankind is suffering from so many ailments today. If these fruits contains such powerful chemicals that can stop it from aging/ deteriorating / going bad - we are taking way too much of such chemicals in our food chain.

Yucks!

No comments: