I started the Monday by a briefing by India HR on the steps I should follow in the whole process. They highlighted the expected issues that might arise in such situations and finally, I was ready to face the team. I have 6 people in Gurgaon and 3 more in Bangalore. The 3 in Bangalore called in to teleconference for the meeting.
I had never seen my team displayed such a serious look in the year that I had hired and managed them. The 2 seniors who remained were taken aback as no one had any inkling this was coming. I arranged to have lunch with the team in Gurgaon and I could see that they were slowly coming to accept the reality of the situation. I was glad that the worst case scenario that HR had presented me did not materialize.
This has been the hardest task that I ever had to do in my career in the company (and this had spanned almost 28 years)!.
I had time to reflect on the team members and for some of them, I have an image burned into my memory of the idiosyncracies of that individual. Just like when I did my MBA, I will always remember one buddy as the one who actually thought that CUT and PASTE meant just that - literally. We did a marketing paper together with 2 other coursemates and as I did the final review, I told the group, that the flow of the report would be better if we cut certain sections and pasted in in a different order. My friend thought we had to print the report as is, cut the sections indicated and repaste it in the order suggest.
I have another currrent colleague who is from a different state. Early on, after she had just joined the department, she asked to be dropped off at Ikano Power Center. I took her there and found out that she just wanted to get to the post office there. I told her that there was a post office that was just a couple of street from her residence. Till today, I can still egg her on this.
And in the team in Gurgaon, one of the employees actually offered to pay me to hire him one year ago. I should have taken his offer, saved the company some money and make some for myself then. Darn!! Wasted opportunity.
Last but not least, I want to share with you an image of how most of these employees would have looked like if I had managed to capture their response on camera.
1 comment:
Than, you have been a good manager and even a better human being. Take care of your health and I hope to work with you some time again in future...
Good bye!
Randeep.
Post a Comment