Sunday, January 18, 2009

One more week to Chinese New Year and I am just over gastric pains

With a week more to the year of the Ox, all the shopping Malls in town have been decorated with CNY decor. It seems that pink is in vogue this year. Maybe this will help put all of us into the pink of health. Red is auspicious, but under current circumstances, may not be the best color financially.

I have been down for almost 6 days due to an overenthusiastic approach to losing weight. On 4th Jan, I decided to make a change in my meal habits. Breakfast with the gang was OUT. I was having breakfast with office colleagues on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I was with the Shiseido crowd (Madeline, Yen Yen, Stephen were the regulars). So breakfast was changed to a cup of oatmeal in the office. That was bearable.

Lunch was normal. Whatever the gang decided to eat, i tagged along - eating in moderation. Dinner was another matter. I had cut off rice (carbo) for almost a year of dinner with no appreciable difference. So this time, I just cut off dinner altogether and went for fresh juices. I had bought a new juicer which was pretty efficient. It could get quite a bit of juice from a whole apple (no cutting into smaller pieces required).

I experiments with a mish mash of juices with apple, orange and celery as the core. We added carrots, ginger and a local fruit called kedongdong to the mix. I was getting used to juices for 5 days straight. On the 6th day, problems started - I had GASTRIC pains. Unbelievable!! That was coupled with a low grade fever. Over 2 days, my internal pipes were scoured clean with every visit to the washroom feeling like I had a faucet installed. And once the pipes were emptied, gas traps were happening all over. I could even hear the gurgling every so often. Doctor treated it as just hyper acidity due to my juice intake.

Just when I thought it was getting better, I got floored again and had to go back top the doctor for another diagnostic. This time, in view of the low grade fever, he reckoned that I had somehow gotten some bacterial infection as well. A course of antibiotics and today, 8 days later, I think I'll go back to my original plan - juices for dinner - with less acidic fruits in the mix.

The good news (if you can call it that) is that I seem to have dropped off at least 3 kg for January.

No comments: