Tuesday, April 8, 2008

India (Gurgaon) Today - part 1

It's almost 2 weeks since I am back in Gurgaon. During this trip, I noted some things that are similar and yet different. On my trips between the hotel and office and back, I observe many things which had remained the same since the first time I set foot in india and yet many changes.
One of those mornings, there was a bad traffic jam - all because this car knocked a woman on the street. Looks like everyone wants a piece of the action.
And everyday, I would pass by this police post which looks so run down that if not for the sign, I thought it was a building under construction!! They had the contact numbers of the officers listed outside in non standard fonts. A few days before I left, that sign was removed. Wonder why?

Begging at traffic is still prevalent. Here is a woman begging at a car in front of me. It seems that begging can be quite lucrative - earning quite a comfortable income for those who dares.

There are slums and hovels all along the road to the office. The office site is supposed to be some kind of an industrial zones, but the roads are bad - potholes everywhere. Migrant workers tend to setup homes along the road and every morning, I can see street urchins emptying their bowels in public view. This shot of a street urchin enjoying an ice cream on a hot Indian day is an image of your typical street kid - dirty and probably street wise.

Before I end this post, I would like to share with you how ATI prepares a cubicle to welcome new employees. That is surely a nice touch!

No comments: