Thursday, May 24, 2007

May travels- the third leg - Penang

Fatigue starting to set in....... Finding it hard to write any significant things about Penang. Not sure if it because familiarity breeds contempt or I am truly wiped out by the things that I need to get done while I am in Penang. I am inclined to think that it is the latter!

Arrived in Penang and checked in about 9pm on Sunday night. So not much could be done. No mood to go out for supper with the other participants. Eat too much already as it is. Next morning, had to wolf down breakfast and get ready for the transport that takes us to the Penang factory site. The Six Sigma Green Belt classes will start at 8am everyday. It also ends between 4.30 and 4.45pm most days. I had also been skipping lunch everyday to catch up on my work during lunch. The same transport takes us back to the hotel in the evening.

You probably think that at least I had the nights to enjoy local food and durians!. Unfortunately, that is not the case (on most days). Monday rained and so, a group of us decided to eat in the hotel's restaurants. Tuesday and Wednesday nights, I had teleconferences, one starting at 6.30pm and ending at 8.30pm and the second started at 9pm and ended at 11pm. So on Tuesday, I ate in again - groan!!. At least on Wednesday, I had enough time to go across the hotel to eat local Char Kueh Teow and then get a bath before the teleconference started. Thursday was the only truly free night I have, but by then I am already pooped. Could hardly keep my eyes open during class on Thursday. And I go home on Friday. Such a boring trip.

The only other thing that I can write about is the hotel that I stayed in - Northam Suites. Some years ago, when it was still new, it has great decor and environment. Sadly, today, the decor looks run down and the rooms , while still okay by most standards, are no longer what I remembered them to be. Main problem was due to the timber floorboards they have installed. They are lifting and geting warped, such that when you walk across some of them, you get the feeling that there is a bubble struggling to get out under your feet.

I suspect that most of the water damage to the timber floorboards was due to the jacuzzi that is found in every room. If you put some bath shower foam into the jacuzzi and then operate it, within 15 minutes, so much bubbles gets generated that they overspill onto the floor. And then the guest probably walks all over drippping wet and cause water to seep onto the timber floor boards. One more important reason not to install timber floorboards in Malaysian home. Malaysia is just too humid.


And the bed that I got - pseudo King size. It was actually 2 singles placed side by side. Sure, many hotels do that so that they have some flexibility in accomodating people who stay together but sleep apart. But Northam also provides 2 pieces of blankets laid one over the other to make it look like a King size blanket.

One thing that I was glad for was the free internet access. Let's face it - there is no free lunch. The internet access was part of the room rate package we got. As long as I do not have to fork out extra, I am happy.

Enough said about Penang trip - boring. I got home on Friday evening and will be flying to Fukuoka via Singapore on Saturday evening. Watch this space

No comments: