Monday, December 29, 2008

Holiday time part 1 - Lenggong and beyond

I've stopped working since 23rd Dec and have loads of time on my hands. So why not a vacation for the family? I've actually planned this with Mad about a month ago. Both our families planned a road trip from KL to Penang with stopovers at Lenggong on the way up and Ipoh on the way down.

We started on boxing day, waking up at 5.30am so that we can get started by 6am. We took a short detour to McD to fill up on Alex's Sausage McMuffin and we were on our way. Next stop was in Bidor's Pun Chun for breakfast - nothing much to shout about - just the regular wanton mee and herbal duck thigh.

As the journey progressed, Alex's PSP runs down on power and was put on life support using the car power adaptor to recharge. He was bored almost 2 hours as we headed for Lenggong. What's in Lenggong? Nothing much. Just that Mad's uncle (her Mum's brother) stays there and it's been ages since she met up with them.

The house reminds me of the times that I had in my grandpa's house when I was knee high to a grasshopper!! Vegetables growing in any and every available piece of earth. Flowers everywhere along with anything green that'll grow. There was this piece of yam that was just dumped there and it had sprouted leaves! Seeing Uncle's spring onions reminded me that I should put some bulbs in so that I'll have some for CNY.

Before departing, we had lunch together. Lenggong and the surrounding areas are famous for their fishballs, freshwater fish and Chilli padi sauce (Chilli padi is a smallish chilli about 2cm long with a tongue burn factor or 9 out of 10). It's like every other person in this small town makes the chilli sauce.

Uncle forced us to take a couple of bottles of the sauce with us (he actually tried to order half a dozen and we had to stop him).

Next stop after this - Penang!

No comments: